About OpenKnowledge@NAU | For NAU Authors

Distribution of nucleosides in populations of Cordyceps cicadae

Zeng, Wen-Bo and Yu, Hong and Ge, Feng and Yang, Jun-Yuan and Chen, Zi-Hong and Wang, Yuan-Bing and Dai, Yong-Dong and Adams, Alison (2014) Distribution of nucleosides in populations of Cordyceps cicadae. Molecules, 19 (5). pp. 6123-6141. ISSN 1420-3049

Available under License Creative Commons Attribution.

Download (695kB) | Preview
Publisher’s or external URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/molecules19056123


A rapid HPLC method had been developed and used for the simultaneous determination of 10 nucleosides (uracil, uridine, 2'-deoxyuridine, inosine, guanosine, thymidine, adenine, adenosine, 2'-deoxyadenosine and cordycepin) in 10 populations of Cordyceps cicadae, in order to compare four populations of Ophicordyceps sinensis and one population of Cordyceps militaris. Statistical analysis system (SAS) 8.1 was used to analyze the nucleoside data. The pattern of nucleoside distribution was analyzed in the sampled populations of C. cicadae, O. sinensis and C. militaris, using descriptive statistical analysis, nested analysis and Q cluster analysis. The total amount of the 10 nucleosides in coremium was 1,463.89-5,678.21 mu g/g in 10 populations of C. cicadae, 1,369.80-3,941.64 mu g/g in sclerotium. The average contents of the 10 analytes were 4,392.37 mu g/g and 3,016.06 mu/g in coremium and sclerotium, respectively. The coefficient of variation (CV) of nucleosides ranged from 8.36% to 112.36% in coremium of C. cicadae, and from 10.77% to 155.87% in sclerotium of C. cicadae. The CV of the nucleosides was wide within C. cicadae populations. The nested variation analysis by the nine nucleosides' distribution indicated that about 42.29% of the nucleoside variability in coremium was attributable to the differentiation among populations, and the remaining 57.71% resided in the populations. It was also shown that about 28.94% of the variation in sclerotium was expressed between populations, while most of the variation (71.06%) corresponded to the populations.

Item Type: Article
ID number or DOI: 10.3390/molecules19056123
Keywords: bases; capillary-electrophoresis; chan-hua fungus; Chromatography, High Pressure Liquid; cicadas; cluster analysis (Statistics); Cordyceps; Cordyceps cicadae; cultured cordyceps; Distribution; Index Medicus; Inhibition (Chemistry); insect-body portion; lc/esi-ms; main nucleosides; nucleosides; Nucleosides; Derivatives; performance liquid-chromatography; Physiology; Population; random variables; scientific rediscovery; sinensis; Species Specificity
Subjects: Q Science > QH Natural history > QH301 Biology
NAU Depositing Author Academic Status: Faculty/Staff
Department/Unit: College of Engineering, Forestry, and Natural Science > Biological Sciences
Date Deposited: 18 Oct 2015 19:54
URI: http://openknowledge.nau.edu/id/eprint/1041

Actions (login required)

IR Staff Record View IR Staff Record View


Downloads per month over past year